Due to the lateness of coming round after the surgery, I had to spend the night in hospital but was eager to get home the next morning. Bandaged and strapped within a medical device the nurse fondly referred to as a ‘bra’, I was quite comfortable and had to become used to the ‘drains’, one on each side.  Little plastic bulbs hung from clear plastic tubes which, in turn, protruded from the bandages.  Three times a day, the amount of liquid on each side had to be emptied and recorded.  We were told that these drains could stay in as long as a month so I resigned myself to getting used to them.

Although movement and action was to be kept to a minimum, our Church had its groundbreaking ceremony just a couple of days after I returned home.  Some may think me crazy, but I really wanted to attend this special event as our family had eagerly awaited this exciting day. Taking every precaution, our family happily celebrated with many of our friends and fellow parishioners and I even got to participate in digging a divot from the Church perimeter (or at least the painted outline of it).  Although storms were forecast and the sky was ominous, the groundbreaking went off without incident and we all drifted toward the tents for a picnic lunch.

Waiting in line for the sandwiches, I had just got to the head of the queue when the heavens opened.  And I mean cracked wide open. Torrential rain and strong gusts of wind buffeted us and the tents and I found myself hanging onto the tent pole closest to me to try and keep the tent from being blown away.  As everyone ran for cover, the wind and rain increased and I was ushered into the middle of the tent and my mother took over stewardship of the tent pole in my possession.  My husband, seeing I was now as safe as possible, ran to get our vehicle to get me out of the weather as the bandaged area was supposed to be kept dry.  Oops!

Visiting the surgeon the following week, I was surprised to find out only a few strips were underneath all the bandages and, even better, he removed both my drains.  That meant I was able to attend my daughter’s high school graduation will little difficulty and the healing process could begin.

Finally, after having to reschedule my appointment due to no received data, the results were in.  We were quite optimistic as no news is usually good news and nothing bad was really expected anyway.  Imagine our shock when we were told that not only was cancer found in the two sentient lymph nodes but that pre cancer was found in the tissue removed during reconstruction.  As it was not known what part of the breast this new cancer threat was found, I was advised to move forward with a mastectomy and chemotherapy was now a necessity.  I was also scheduled for a PET scan the following day as the doctors needed to know if my cancer had metastasized.

More later …..